Rasam or Chaaru or Saaru is a South Indian soup made with tamarind juice and spices. Though a soup, it is part of the main course of meals and is taken mixed with rice. So any South Indian meal is incomplete without Rasam. Now, heres the recipe for one of the main ingredients to prepare rasam -- the rasam powder.
- Toor dal - 1/2 cup
- Coriander seeds - 2 cups
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 cup
- Dry red chillies - 1 cup
- Black Pepper - 1 tbl spn
- Fenugreek seeds - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1/2 cup
How To Prepare Homemade Rasam Powder/Rasa Podi:
- Dry roast each ingredient separately till you get a good aroma.
- Allow them to cool and grind them together in a dry mixer into a coarse powder.
- Store in dry airtight containers or bags.
- Now you can prepare rasam in a jiffy.
- Do not grind it to a very fine powder, it should be coarse.
- This powder can be stored in the freezer for about 6 months.